Monday, August 21, 2017

Traveling Teacher Tips & Tricks


It's hard to believe we're nearing another school year already!  I'm knee deep in classroom projects and curriculum planning. I can't wait to meet my new group of firsties!  Brandon is still hanging on to his last week or two of summer, mainly because he is getting a new building this year and is not able to get in his classroom yet- yikes!

Before all of these blog posts turn educational, I thought I'd share the highlights of our cross- country trip with you.  This trip was MUCH different than our one-way journey out to Seattle in the big yellow moving truck.  It was so nice to be able to take our time, stop when we wanted, and drive over 55 MPH!  It was also super nice to be cruising in our new 2017 Subaru Impreza- the gas mileage was amazing for how full our car was!


On our trip out, we ventured from Seattle to Drummond Island, Michigan in about 5 days.  For all of you teachers out there, you know that summers on teacher salaries have to include some budget vacations- especially when you're going to be gone for a month like we were!  Teacher Traveling tip #1: camping!  We did the first three nights of our trip in a tent camping outside of national parks, and I wouldn't have had it any other way.  Our surroundings were GORGEOUS and we were able to stay for as little as $15 a night.  Since we were on a roadtrip and staying different places each night, this did take some food prep planning on our part, but it was definitely worth it!  Here are some pictures of our adventure as we traveled to Glacier, Yellowstone, and Tetons National Parks while camping.
 

Glacier National Park



Yellowstone National Park
 
Grand Teton National Park

 



Teacher Traveling tip #2: keep an eye out for great classroom finds.  I couldn't resist grabbing some books from the national parks as we traveled along.  They are going to be perfect for introducing non-fiction text features while connecting it to something personal- my summer trip!  Teaching text features is one of my very favorite topics- I can't wait to do my text feature scavenger hunt with some of these books.  (Interested?  Grab it for free here!) 
 


On the last two days of our journey, we were itching to get the island to see family and finally be out of a car, so we did start picking up the pace and didn't make as many stops.  We also stayed in some cheaper hotels so that we didn't need to worry about making it to a site before dark or prepping more meals.  We were, however, able to squeeze in Mall of America, another national park, a national monument, and a national lake-shore along the way!

Mt. Rushmore

Badlands National Park

Mall of America has a Crayola Store!!!

   
Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore 
                       


Teacher Traveling Tip #3: stay with family & friends!  For the majority of the time we were back east, we mooched off of our wonderful family and friends and caught up after a year of being away.  We were able to stay in Michigan, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, and Ohio all without getting a hotel!





Teacher Tip #4: look for opportunities to keep your DIY skills from getting rusty.  While we were away I was itching to work on all of the summer projects for my classroom I left behind.  I was able to get a crafting fix, though, when I helped make a seating sign for a wedding that I was in!



After the wedding I had to catch a quick flight back in order to make it to a tech. conference on time.  That meant my poor husband was left with the task of getting himself and all of our stuff back to Washington.  Thankfully my mother-in-law was able to make the journey back with him and come visit us in Seattle!  We're now moved into our NEW apartment closer to work and are (finally) all unpacked.  Stay tuned for our classroom reveals and Meet the Teacher tips coming soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment