As the second week of school is about to start, organization is the only thing that is keeping me going! While I love the excitement of the beginning of the year, it can get a little crazy before I established routines (even for myself). I've found the thing that helps me the most is prioritizing my to-do list and scheduling like items in specific sections of my day. Last year, I learned quickly that I was going to need a good system to keep all of my to-do's together in one place with being in a new state, new school, and having a new set of firsties. After using a desktop checklist for a year, I don't know how I would plan and teach without it!
I'm sure it can be used in a lot more ways than I've even thought of, but here's a glimpse of how I've had success with using it so far.
I first start by typing on each day's checklist as I am doing my weekly lesson planning. I try to lesson plan and have all of my copies done for the next week before I leave on Friday. With teaching first grade, however, there is a lot more prep that goes into the week besides copies! I use these checklists to enter in times to make my anchor charts, prep center work, or make digital resources I'll need for specific lessons.
Once my lesson plans are done, I'll then go through my schedule to check for any important meetings or deadlines to type in. Finally, I'll distribute any remaining weekly tasks (things like lesson planning, making newsletters, copies, grading, etc.) into specific times slots on each day. For example, I like to grade or pass out papers during the 20 minute time slot I have for afternoon recess, so I'll add that under the PM time slot. Once all foreseen "to-do's" are noted, I'll save it electronically with my lesson plans, and also print out a copy to have on my desktop throughout the week. Once printed, I can check tasks off and add new ones on as they come along.
I've found this really helpful when trying to use small chunks of free time to get things done. Without looking at my list, I find that I start a lot of tasks and never get to finishing any of them before it is time to pick up my class again. Also, knowing that I have a list to get back to also helps me to cut my conversations with colleagues in the hallway short and get back to business. It is especially helpful for those extra crazy days when you feel like you can't even keep your head on straight.
Did I have coffee this morning? Where even is my coffee cup? Why am I so thirsty? This is only my second staff lounge treat today, right?
I know I'm not the only one asking myself these questions on a daily basis...even something as simple as checking off how many water bottles you've had is a LIFE SAVER (teachers know there's a fine balance between getting enough water and having TOO much water before your next break).
Interested? I've made this desktop checklist for all educators available as a resource on teachers pay teachers. There are both editable and printable versions available, and many different types of layouts to meet your individual needs.
Questions? I love talking about educator organization- leave a comment down below and I will do my best to answer them!
Saturday, September 9, 2017
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment